Well, I think I can safely say I am officially old and boring. I stayed in on New Years Eve.
In my defence, I’m ill, and not fond of 4 hour nightbus journeys. So there.
So last year was a bit eventful to say the least! Last year was the year of promiscuity, of fun, of remembering who I was and generally enjoying being fabulous.
THIS YEAR, the real work begins.
I have decided that this year is going to be the year of actually getting somewhere. Nose to the grindstone time. Rolling up them sleeves and givin it some. Therefore, Ritzi’s Resolutions for 2011 lie thus:
1) To complete the January detox that I attempt every year. That means: no coffee, no tequila (argh!), no carbs, no nuttin until February 1st. Cor blimey gov’ner.
2) To send the sample chapters of my book to a different agent/publisher every week. That means me getting off my ass and actually hunting them down, using sparkly scented paper to get their attention if I have to, and buying a shed load of stamps.
3) To write more letters. I wrote veritable essays in my Christmas cards this year, and quite enjoyed it. And how nice is it to get an actual handwritten letter through the post – does anyone do that any more? No more emailing or facebooking… well… less emailing and facebooking. But definitely – letters!
4) To TAKE A HOLIDAY. I haven’t done this for about 4 years. I need to go somewhere hot, with no blackberry signal.
5) And finally, since this is the year of getting serious, I’m adding to my stupidly busy schedule, with a new project. I’ve started a new official blog for ‘Ritzi’s Reviews’, and instead of just randomly throwing my thoughts down on here and tagging as a review, I’m going to actually try and write something decent and constructive, because hey, I go to the theatre more than I watch TV, so quite frankly I should be trying to make something out of that.
Bookmark that bad boy.
Now I know what you’re thinking and don’t be ridiculous – of course I’m not giving up men. As if I would, Maxie G would never forgive me. Besides, I’ve already got the Jockey lined up, and he’s going to get the benefit of a mid-detox Ritzi, the lucky bugger. I shan’t be totting up points on a scoreboard, but there will be plenty more sordid blogs coming your way folks.
Weirdly, after a year of – let’s face it – effort, I find myself thinking it might be quite nice to actually find a decent fellow to spend more than the one evening with. I know, right? Crazy. I’m not saying I’m going to sign up for E-Harmony (barf) or anything, but should the right chap come along I may be open to having the same plus one at press nights for a while.
As my wise old sage of an ex-flatmate said to me over Christmas as we warmed our frozen fingers around hot chocolate with baileys and marshmallows AND cream with cinnamon on top…
“You know, if you throw yourself into your career and don’t really think about men, the right guy will probably just come along. It might not be convenient, and it might not be what you thought, but it will be good. I’m getting this from ‘How I met your mother‘, but I think the basic principal applies to real life too.”
The wise old sage just celebrated an anniversary, which is more than I’ve ever managed to do, so maybe there’s truth in that there TV show theory after all. (I’m casually glazing over the fact that her boyfriend is a toffy posh git who I dislike immensely)
So there we have it. Let’s not forget the decade resolutions – travelling places, reading books I should have read but haven’t, etc etc etc. I might add ‘sitting at a table on Jools Holland’s Hootenanny’ to that list, because that would be fun. Right – done. On the list.
Here’s to another year,